Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lottie at Two



I've been slacking off a bit on my Pinkerbelle blog for which I apologize!  I've been a bit distracted with work these days, surprisingly enough.  But we celebrated a milestone in our family last week: Lottie turned two on Friday.  My baby is officially a toddler.  Her toddler-hood has been a long time in coming but I still feel a little sad all the same.  It's funny.  I didn't feel much nostalgia when Izzy turned two but that may have been because I was already pretty pregnant with Lottie at the time and we were looking forward alot more than we were looking back.  It's not to say that I don't enjoy Lottie at two.  She's definitely a character.  In the past month she's developed a fiercely independent streak.  She wants to put on her own clothing and coats- "I do it" has become a common refrain.  She's gotten pretty good at using the potty (at least for some of her potty issues).  She likes to cut with knives and apparently started using scissors at school.  She runs and kicks balls and is keenly interested in what the bigger kids are doing.  (She wanted to have her hair cut the other day when she saw me giving Izzy a trim.)  

Since Ryan and I are still not convinced one way or the other about having more children there's a good chance that Lottie will forever be the baby.  Which makes everything a bit more tender since there's something of our own youth wrapped up in her babyhood.  Perhaps their birth order will be a saving grace for our kids since Isabel prefers to be indulged and I prefer indulging Lottie.  Either that or they will both resent the hell out of me when they're older.  

As for Lottie herself, I think she prefers getting bigger, even if she remains one of the smallest kids in her class.  She really enjoyed her parties-- a very sheepish yet self important look came over her face every time someone sang happy birthday to her.  Like Izzy, Lottie benefited from the never ending birthday.  The celebrations started in VT when we shared cake with grandparents and cousins.  Next, the school festivities and dinner on Friday.  Finally, for the big finale, a party at the house with Ms Nancy, the local rock star music teacher at the girls' daycare center.  Somewhat shockingly, everything went off without a hitch.  The kids all behaved. Everyone seemed to enjoy the crafts, music, and food.  And, perhaps for the first time in my life, I got the thank you cards done within a few days.

And so, life goes on but I have to wonder-is it wrong to miss your kids already?

No comments: