Friday, February 27, 2009

Raising Good People Part 2

I think I might be onto something with my fear about our (the collective gen-X, middle class America our) new obsession with food.  For those who didn't catch it, check out George Will's op-ed in yesterday's Post for some "food" for thought.  Even more disturbing, though, was this article in the New York Times.  God knows that I don't miss the "Molly McButter" and "Stew Starters" of my youth.  And I certainly enjoy eating as much fresh food as I can.  I love farmers' markets and seasonal fruits are a cause of much joy in my family.  But I do believe that we risk raising a generation of children with fears of food.  And food fears only lead to unhappiness.  I know this from personal experience.  As as person who lived through a year of not eating, it's no place I want my children to go through.  Why is it that we as a country, a class, or whatever, reject balanced lives?  Why does everything have to become the next big thing to the exclusion of sensible responses?  And how do we protect our children from this?  I guess we don't.  We just try and arm them with the best tools possible to make decisions for themselves.

Speaking of arming your kids with tools (and covering the topic of soul as well as body in this post), I've come to the decision that I probably should begin more formally exposing the girls to religion.  Both Ryan and I are Roman Catholics, although at this point in our lives it's more of an association rising out of family history rather than actual subscribing to the church's philosophy.  But I think kids do benefit from exposure to religion.  I think it's a great way to begin to understand communities, morals, and personal stability in an ever changing world.  Much like my approach to finding middle ground to govern self image (and food), I'd like to provide them with not only the religion but with the ability to recognize the faults and failings of organized institutions, like the catholic church.  I actually have more hope for this pursuit than I do with the food thing.  But I realized that the time was upon us when Izzy had the same reaction to Ash Wednesday that my Shia friend did in grad school.  She just couldn't understand why anyone would want to put dirt on their forehead.  

While I consider myself much more of a liberal than conservative, I think George Will is onto something.  It's a screwed up place when we replace "morality" with organic.  Guess it's time to go to church and buy some candy!  = ) 

No comments: