Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Is it wrong to envy the shoes of a 4 yrs old?

I've been meaning to share this little ditty for a few weeks now, but work has been intervening. (sigh!) I suppose I shouldn't complain about being productive in my day job. A few weeks ago, my sister brought her sons down to VA for a weekend visit. Being a good NJ mall girl, one of my first thoughts for entertaining a preschooler, two toddlers, one infant, and two mommies was to go to the LL Bean store! Hooray- commerce and love for all. We decided to extend our outing by having lunch at Nordstrom's fabulous cafeteria. Nordstrom really is a suburban mommy's best friend.

While we waiting for my sister to feed the baby, I took the girls over to the shoe department for a little fun. (Yes, I know this story keeps getting worse but it will get better in a very bad mommy kind of way.) I should preface this by saying that somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew Isabel was likely to be in need of a new pair of shoes since she had chosen to wear only one pair over and over again for the past few months. I thought we would really make it a grand occasion so Izzy took her shoes off to have her feet measured by a "professional." Much to my horror, he told me she was a 10.5 and probably could easily fit into a size 11! Those pair of shoes that she'd been wearing over and over again for months- a 9.5!! Oh the guilt, the bad mommy coming home to roost. Really, I didn't want her to be a geisha. So I desperately combed the shoe rack for a pair that was not Juicy Couture and would not cost me $100 to buy. We settled on a pair of Merrells because they were pink and because they wouldn't freak out mommy's credit card. Of course, the day got even worse when we had Lottie measured (again for fun) and found out she too was wearing a size too small. Ugh. L did not get a new pair of Merrells, however, since I had a big box of shoes in the attic with her name on it, most of them Isabel rejects from a few years ago. Doesn't it stink to be a younger sister?

With my kids in shoes that actually fit, I began to mentally crank about my casual yet active footwear selection. Usually, this cranking came to the fore as I hiked the mile from the metro to my office. Ok- it's probably less than a mile and I could just transfer trains and walk about 10 feet but then how would I justify my cranking? My mind settled in turns on Isabel's pink Merrells and my desire for a pair of casual yet active footwear grew. I found myself daydreaming at work, casually checking out the Merrell website. I wandered over to the six (literally count them) Comfort Zone Shoes- the mecca of casual yet active footwear--in DuPont Circle. I tried to talk myself into waiting for my monthly trip to Target and checking out their selection. I didn't really need anything fancy. It didn't help matters when Ryan firmly told me that I was "too old" for a pair of Converse trainers. So I did it- I cracked. One somewhat chilly Friday night, I dragged my happy family with me to Nordstrom and bought myself a pair of Merrell's. Mine are brown, fwiw (in case you were afraid I'd go with pink.) Do I love them- absolutely. Did I need them- of course not!!

1 comment:

Ali said...

You know that Craig simply would not understand this post. I'll send it to him, but it might as well be written in Greek.