Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Longest Story Ever Told




The other night in the bath tub Isabel asked me for about the hundredth time to tell her a story about when she was a baby. Having played along for 99 times, I turned the tables on her and asked her to tell me a story. Here's what she came up with:

Isabel and Lottie were playing one day when a storm cloud with a very mean face [[face was demonstrated]] came along and tried to get them. Izzy and Lottie ran and ran until they ended up in a cave in which to hide from the storm cloud. Unfortunately, the cave was inhabited by a mean which who kept a pet dragon. The witch thought Izzy and Lottie would make a fine dinner. Before she could put them in the pot, however, the storm cloud, who decided he would rather be friends with I & L than scare them anymore, ate up the witch himself. Sadly (for I & L and the storm cloud), the witch had a magic wand and was able to put all her eaten up pieces back together. After reassembling herself and acquiring a new henchman in the form of an alien, the witch was successful in putting Izzy and Lottie into a pot and cooking them up. Of course, Lottie was the first to be eaten, followed by Isabel. Fortunately, somewhere in the course of the action, Isabel had acquired a beautiful magic necklace and was able to reassemble herself. Lottie was not so lucky and the storm cloud cried copious tears over the loss of his friend.

[[After receiving some meaningful looks from both her mom and sister]], Isabel decided that Lottie too could share in the charms of the magic necklace and could be reassembled. The witch, however, would not be deterred and quickly recaptured our two hapless heroines. At this point, my mother made an appearance in the story bearing a sword and told the witch very solemnly, "You are not nice." (Truly fighting words if I do say so myself.) Nonetheless, the witch already had I & L in the pot and cut up into pieces. And, being smarter than your average chicken, had managed to get the magic necklace and hide it so that I & L could not reassemble themselves so easily.

It's here that the story ended for the night although Izzy promises that there is much more to come. As she very earnestly told me, "It's a long story, mom."

**This is not a completely faithful rendering of the story since I missed the part where the third henchman, a monster, comes in and I believe a dramatic chase sequence. But I was trying to wash, dry, and clothe children while Iz told me the story.

1 comment:

mimi said...

What a magnificent imagination. I can't wait to see this little person, who has obviously grown up a lot.