Sunday, June 21, 2009

Some Way Cool Dudes


Ryan and the girls at the Museum of Natural History

Happy Father's Day to two great guys- Ryan and my dad. OK- and my father-in-law although I don't have a good picture of him to share here. I have to say (and I really am not trying to kiss up since neither my dad nor Ryan read Pinkerbelle) I think dads are an under-appreciated commodity. Thank god the girls have Ryan in their lives. He keeps it real. He's willing and able to deal with all of their peculiarities but adds a distinct dose of masculine perspective into most proceedings. And I know the girls love him for it. If it weren't for Ryan, neither Izzy or Lottie would have any idea of who Sherlock Holmes was or how to scramble an egg properly.


My dad and grandkids

As for my dad, well, this picture probably says it all. He's a pretty quiet person but with lots of good humor and a distinct willingness to be bossed around by his wife, three daughters, and two granddaughters. Maybe someday he'll revolt, but we're glad he's on our side now.

Our father's day weekend didn't turn out quite the way we were expecting or hoping. The weather in NY did its best to make everyone miserable. It was humid, sticky, and raining pretty much from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. This was all the more disappointing since we arrived equipped with beach umbrella, bathing suits, towels, sunscreen, tennis rackets, and bike helmets. A weekend outdoors was not to be. In a last ditch effort to entertain the girls, we went into Manhattan to the Museum of Natural History. Unfortunately, it seemed as if every other New Yorker (but most especially the obnoxious ones) had the same idea. The place was mobbed. Parents and other bystanders were crabby, lippy, and cared not to notice other people around them in their quests to get to wherever it was they were going. Funny thing is, I don't think the girls noticed. They seemed to be having a pretty good time.


Izzy and the Triceratops

Strange too was that the Ocean Hall was actually pretty tame. People were sprawled out under the whale watching a film on oceans, but they were sprawling quietly. I was impressed that we actually got Izzy into the Ocean Hall. I remember being cowed as a kid myself by the sheer size of the blue whale hanging from the ceiling.


The Natural History Museum's great Blue Whale

Most successful was our trip to the gift shop. Isabel and Lottie are now the proud owners of a jaguar and dinosaur, respectively named "Baby" and "Six." If you know my girls, you'll know whose is whose.

And so ends another weekend adventure with the Schroeder girls. They sure do love visiting their grandparents.


And that's that

Next up- a weekend away for mom and dad! (Note the exclamation point.) We're heading to Chicago for a family wedding this weekend.

1 comment:

mimi said...

Chicago next wkend? Heat wave!